Transfer/Advanced Standing Admission Requirements
COLLEGE OF MEDICINE POLICY FOR STUDENTS REQUESTING TRANSFER
- The COM will consider requests for transfer between years 2 and 3 from students at other LCME-accredited medical schools in the United States. Students who have begun third year clerkships are not eligible for transfer.
- There must be a compelling reason for the transfer, e.g., movement of a spouse or partner to Gainesville for the start of a faculty position or a residency training position or a serious illness in a close family member that requires the student’s presence in Gainesville.
- The student must be in good academic standing, and by the time of expected enrollment at UF COM must have completed the second year of medical school in good standing, and must have passed USMLE Step 1.
- The student cannot start the clinical clerkships until the COM has proof of successful completion of USMLE Step 1.
- If the student previously applied to the UF COM, he/she must have been judged “acceptable” for admission (i.e., received an offer of admission) by the Medical Student Admissions Committee.
Initial consideration of an applicant for advanced standing will be undertaken only when the applicant furnishes the following information upon request:
- A signed narrative written by the applicant expressing the circumstances that prompted the request to transfer at an advanced standing status. This appeal must be sent to the Director of Admissions prior to April 1st.
- Upon Request: A letter of recommendation from the Dean of the professional or graduate school in which the applicant either was enrolled or is presently enrolled. This letter must also state that the applicant is free of attitudinal, behavioral, or emotional problems.
- Official transcripts of all post-high school academic course work.
- Medical College Admission Test official scores.
- United States citizenship or permanent resident alien certification.
An applicant judged to be qualified on the basis of the furnished information may be extended an interview.
Requests for admission must be submitted to:
Director of Admissions
Attn: Transfer Requests
P.O. Box 100216
Gainesville, Florida 32610