- All requirements below must be satisfied before the admissions committee will consider an application for transfer/advanced standing admission. UF COM does not guarantee seat availability in the third year class.
- The COM will consider requests for transfer between years 2 and 3 from students at other LCME-accredited medical schools in the United States. Students who have begun clerkships are not eligible for transfer. Students attending non-LCME-accredited medical schools are not eligible for transfer.
- There must be a compelling reason for the transfer, e.g., movement of a spouse or partner to Gainesville for the start of a faculty position or a residency training position or a serious illness in a close family member that requires the student’s presence in Gainesville.
- The student must be in good standing, per a Dean’s letter, in terms of both academic performance and professionalism. By the time of expected enrollment at UF COM the student must have completed the second year of medical school in good standing, and must have passed USMLE Step 1.
- The student cannot start the clinical clerkships until the COM has proof of successful completion of USMLE Step 1.
- If the student previously applied to the UF COM, he/she must have been judged “acceptable” for admission (i.e., have received a formal offer of admission) by the Medical Student Admissions Committee.
- The student must read and understand the Technical Standards for the UF COM M.D. Program, and be able to fulfill the requirements with or without reasonable means or accommodations (form to be provided as part of the application process if student passes initial screening).
Initial consideration of an applicant for advanced standing will be undertaken only when the applicant furnishes the following information upon request:
- A signed narrative written by the applicant expressing the circumstances that prompted the request to transfer at an advanced standing status. This appeal must be sent to the Director of Admissions prior to April 1.
- Upon Request: A letter of recommendation from the Dean of the professional or graduate school in which the applicant either was enrolled or is presently enrolled. This letter must also state that the applicant is free of attitudinal, behavioral, or emotional problems.
- Official transcripts of all post-high school academic course work.
- Medical College Admission Test official scores.
- United States citizenship or permanent resident status.
- Form attesting to receiving and understanding the Technical Standards for the UF COM M.D. Program.
- An applicant judged to be qualified on the basis of the furnished information may receive an interview.
Email initial requests for transfer consideration to the Director of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests should be in the form of a detailed letter to the Admissions Committee outlining the circumstances behind the request and how the above requirements are satisfied.
After initial screening, if approved to submit application materials, please send to:
Director of Admissions
Attn: Transfer Requests
P.O. Box 100216
Gainesville, Florida 32610