Transfer/Advanced Standing Admission Requirements
Transfer availability is very rare – we have only had three seat openings since 2006
Students may seek transfer to the University of Florida College of Medicine from a Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) accredited medical school. Transfer applicants must have successfully completed the first two years of medical school and have passed the Step 1 exam. Applicants must be either a United States Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien. Individuals who already have received a degree from a college of medicine will not be admitted to the M.D. curriculum at advanced standing status.
A person may be admitted to the College of Medicine at an advanced standing status within the context of the following guidelines:
- A vacancy must exist for the admission of a person to advanced standing status in the appropriate class.
- There must be extraordinary personal or family circumstances that would be alleviated by transfer.
- Previous professional or graduate education from a LCME accredited institution must be adjudged adequate in quantity, quality, and time frame to have been competitive for admission as a first-year student at this college and to permit entry into the curriculum at a level beyond the first year. An applicant who is, for any reason, on probation or not in good academic standing at the school from which transfer is sought will not be considered for transfer to this college.
- There must be no history of attitudinal, behavioral or emotional problems.
- Applicants currently pursuing graduate level work toward a Ph.D. degree or other professional degrees are required to complete all degree requirements prior to application for admission to the College of Medicine for study toward the M.D. degree.
- Only under extraordinary circumstances will an applicant who was previously not accepted by the Admissions Committee be considered for transfer at an Advanced Standing status. Any such request will be considered by the current Chair of the Medical Selection and the Associate Dean for Student Affairs in consultation with the Senior Associate Dean for Educational Affairs.
Initial consideration of an applicant for advanced standing will be undertaken only when the applicant furnishes the following information upon request:
- A signed narrative written by the applicant expressing the circumstances that prompted the request to transfer at an advanced standing status. This appeal must be sent to the Director of Admissions prior to April 1st.
- Upon Request: A letter of recommendation from the Dean of the professional or graduate school in which the applicant either was enrolled or is presently enrolled. This letter must also state that the applicant is free of attitudinal, behavioral, or emotional problems.
- Official transcripts of all post-high school academic course work.
- Medical College Admission Test official scores.
- United States citizenship or permanent resident alien certification.
An applicant judged to be qualified on the basis of the furnished information may be extended an interview.
Requests for admission must be complete prior to April 1st 2014 for consideration to join in Fall 2014 and submitted to:
Director of Admissions
Attn: Transfer Requests
P.O. Box 100216
Gainesville, Florida 32610